RMIT is a global university of technology and design and Australia’s largest tertiary institution. The University enjoys an international reputation for excellence in practical education and outcome-oriented research. RMIT is a leader in technology, design, global business, communication, global communities, health solutions and urban sustainable futures. We are ranked 57th in the world for engineering and technology in the 2023 Best Global World University Rankings.
RMIT has three campuses in Melbourne, Australia, and two in Vietnam. We offer programs through partners in Singapore, Hong Kong, mainland China, Malaysia, India and Europe. We enjoy research and industry partnerships on every continent. The University’s student population of 91,000 includes 30,000 international students, of whom more than 17,000 are taught offshore (almost 12,000 at RMIT Vietnam).
RMIT is committed to building new teaching spaces that engage students in active learning and fostering innovation in curriculum design so students graduate with appropriate skills. Our curricula are designed for 21st century learners and our students are able to put theory into practice through work integrated learning opportunities. Our excellent teachers are recognized through national and discipline teaching awards. RMIT offers a transformative educational experience through its various industry and global partners.
Research at RMIT
RMIT is part of an international research community seeking innovative solutions to address emerging global problems. In partnership with industry and communities across the world, RMIT is focused on solving critical worldwide problems affecting communities and the environment in the following areas:
- Designing the future
- Smart technology solutions
- Improving health and lifestyle
- Sustainability and climate change challenges
- The future of cities.
Globally ranked and recognized
RMIT has a global reputation for excellence in professional and vocational education, applied research, and engagement with the needs of industry and communities world-wide.
- 223rd globally (and 15th in Australia) in QS World University Rankings 2021. Rankings published for 1,002 institutions.
- 18th globally in the 2021 QS Top 50 Under 50 (5th in Australia). A ranking of the world’s top universities which are under 50 years old.
- 77th globally in QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020. RMIT ranks 55th globally on the Graduate Employment Rate.
- Architecture / Built Environment – 25th globally (Top 50), 3rd in Australia
- Art and Design – 11th globally, 1st in Australia
- Communication & Media Studies – 44th globally (Top 50), 4th in Australia
- Library and Information Management – 25th globally (Top 50), 1st in Australia
Times Higher Education (THE)
- 10th globally in the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings. RMIT ranks 1st globally in reducing inequalities. This ranking focuses on measuring universities’ social, environmental and economic impact and progress towards the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- 301-350 (band) in the 2021 edition of Times Higher Education World University Rankings. RMIT ranks 59th globally on international outlook. THE publishes rankings for 1,527 universities.
- Architecture and Building
- Art and Design
- Community Services and Social Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Environment and Planning
- Health and Medical Sciences
- Media and Communication
RMIT University latest news
Building on their finding that honeybees can understand the concept of zero, Australian and French researchers set out to test whether bees could perform arithmetic operations like addition and subtraction.
Solving maths problems requires a sophisticated level of cognition, involving the complex mental management of numbers, long-term rules and short term working memory.
The revelation that even the miniature brain of a honeybee can grasp basic mathematical operations has implications for the future development of Artificial Intelligence, …
student Kelly Liang has designed furniture retailer Relaxhouse’s new multipurpose warehouse.
Associate Degree of Interior Decoration and Design students were briefed by Relaxhouse to redesign their existing warehouse space as part of their final year studio.
Having recently relocated their pillow factory, the furniture retailer’s 1000-square metre original warehouse was to be converted in to a showroom with multipurpose functionality.
Students were briefed with the task to design a creative hub, …
Tim Pendlebury’s work-integrated learning (WIL) placement at Siemens was a springboard into a job at the global technology giant.
During his placement, Pendlebury worked on the Sustainable Urban Precincts Program (SUPP) and New Academic Street (NAS), helping senior Siemens engineers install building management systems across RMIT’s City campus. These systems help to control heating and ventilation to reduce energy and water use.
Pendlebury completed a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering in 2017 and is now working as a Building Automation Design Engineer at Siemens. …
Professor Calum Drummond from has been awarded the prestigious Ian Wark Medal and Lecture for outstanding advances in chemistry and materials science research, and contributions to Australia’s prosperity.
Professor Drummond formally received the medal from the Australian Academy of Science and delivered the associated lecture at a presentation dinner in Melbourne on 5 July.
He was announced as the medal and lecture recipient in November 2017.
The national award recognises Drummond’s achievements in understanding materials at the nanoscale that have enabled high-performing products to be developed and commercialised. …
The survey revealed RMIT’s Executive MBA received a Tier One ranking and was the second highest ranked Australian program behind the University of Woolongong.
RMIT sustained a Tier One ranking in the Global Online category, with the EMBA and MBA online programs ranking 19th and 28th, respectively.
David Goodwin, MBA Director in the Graduate School of Business and Law was thrilled with the University’s performance.
“RMIT is delighted to have achieved Tier One rankings for its Executive MBA, …